Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Firefox Add-ons

I have been thinking about writing a blog about the FireFox add-on that I like and I am currently using.

I have been using Download Statusbar for some time now and I really like the way it comes as toolbar in browser itself and not as some other dialog.

Other add-on that I really like is Fast Dial it is same as opera's speed dial but with more customizability.I like setting grid size according to me instead of custom 9 and it does not load the page as in speed dial but just the icon.

One really cool visualization add-on is Piclens.It makes browsing picture really cool on site on which it is enabled like Google and Yahoo image search ,deviant art etc. Other add-on from same group is Cooliris Previews which gives a small preview of the link. I do not use it as I did not find it useful.

WebMynd is next good visualization tool if you have a lot of hard disk to spare as it takes a snapshot of every page you visit and stores it so one can browse through once history in pictorial manner. Its a good add-on to try but it consumed too much hard disk so I had to disable it.

Adblock Plus is a good extension to get rid of some annoying ads.

Firebug and Tamper Data are great development tools for Firefox . Firebug lets one inspect the elements on web page and lot more. Tamper Data allows to capture get and post requests sent and modify them.


User Agent Switcher is another good tool to have although I have not used it a lot.I use it mainly to fool Megaupload that I have Alexa toolbar installed.

Recently I looked for the popular add-ons which I did not I have and I found following add-on which I am currently using and are really good.

I like Foxytunes to control my playlist from Firefox itself without switching windows.
The All-in-one sidebar is good tool to access bookmarks,downloads,add-ons etc.

Feedly is a really intuitive way to read one's RSS.It makes going through all the feeds really easy and fun.The recommendation feature from friends you follow is good too. It has been integrated with Google reader in a seamless manner.
Digg extension adds digg features into browser as evident from name. I do not use it a lot though.

Another tool Stealther seemed like replacement for IE8's inprivate mode but I have not been able to figure out how to use it.
McAfee SiteAdvisor is another tool which I have installed at office and thinking about installing at home too.

So that sums up all the add-ons that I use on my Firefox 3 currently to make browsing more productive and easy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Alok,

Thank you for posting about Cooliris (formerly PicLens)! We truly appreciate it. We're delighted to hear that you are enjoying Cooliris and we hope your readers will too.

Have you tried out Cooliris 1.8 with Sharing and the new Developer site?

Interested readers can check out the full spectrum of Cooliris features at http://cooliris.com/demo and please stay tuned for more exciting developments.

Thanks again,
Luna and The Cooliris Team