Sunday, September 14, 2008

Windows Applications that make my world easy

 

Today I wanted to talk about some programs which can make a lot of difference in your everyday experience with your PC.

Launchy is the first one that comes  to my mind.Ever struggled finding a program's shortcut ,you try to look at desktop and your Quick launch and then you go through the whole list of them at start menu which is again painful if you have lot of programs like me.With Launchy you just need to type the name of program and it comes just like program search in vista. But I like Launchy better because it is very clean.

If  you have used torrents than you would have come across utorrent , if not you must try it . It really is makes  the downloading of  torrents really manageable and easy.

If one want to access your PC from office or anywhere else you need to try LogMeIn or Live Mesh . Both these product are good in their way Live Mesh is a Microsoft  offering to connect your Desktops ,Mobiles and other devices (in future) .It gives a desktop on the web which you can use to synchronize files and folders. I have been using LogMeIn for  a month now and I find its remote control feature which is another name of remote desktop really fast and useful in order to monitor things . There are other stuffs in offering in Pro subscription but I use it for RDP only so I am quite content.

I have lot of browsers viz IE, Firefox,Opera ,Flock,Safari, Chrome installed on my PC.  Although my main browser has been Firefox as would be evident from my previous post. I use IE mainly for sites which open in IE in best manner.(I know I can use IE tab add-on in firefox.)

I have lot of media players on my computer too . I use VLC or Crystal mainly for all the video content. I use Real Player, itunes ,Mediamonkey for songs,audio etc. I like the tool minilyrics which I have installed recently to show the lyrics of the song in different manners.

If one is really picky about the items order in taskbar or saving space on taskbar by sending items to system tray , xNeatLite is a good tool for  that .

I have installed Windows Live package which consists of Writer to publish blog to a lot blog provider which is handy . It has Windows Live Photo Gallery  which is useful for viewing ,uploading , editing pictures. Although I have Picasa to take care of  it as I use Picasa Web Albums . The panorama creation utility in Photo Gallery is  useful. It also has Windows Live Mail  which one can use for one stop to access  a lot of email accounts from gmail,hotmail,yahoomail,aol, etc .

I also use Windows Desktop Search although I have tried Google Desktop Search and Coopernic search too. All of them work good for me.

I like the calender and clock widget of Yahoo! widgets . One can also use Google gadget for the same too.

As a download manager FlashGet has served purpose for me since long time. I earlier had Star downloader and IDM but I have liked FlashGet most .

Feel free to comment what apps you use to make your life easy.

No comments: